October Favorites – Fitness, Food and Beauty
I have decided to start writing monthly favorites blog post. I will do these at the beginning of every month focusing on things that I loved from the prior month. In this post, I will go over my favorite items in fitness, food and (maybe) beauty products. I hope to continue this post in video form when I get my YouTube channel up and running. I love watching “Favorites” videos, leave me a comment if you like them too!
Last April, I bought two Baiji Water Bottles on Amazon for our trip to Hawaii. I had the intention of writing a review on the water bottles but it got put on the back burner. Well, after 6 months of not writing a review, here it is!
I took one of these water bottles to the gym the other day and realized that I needed to do a review. All opinions are my own, I bought the Baiji water bottles on Amazon for full price.
If you are on a health and fitness journey, you have probably wondered about counting calories. There has been a lot of recent talk about macros in the health community, and many wonder the differences between calorie counting vs. macro counting. Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion and what has worked best for me. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another. I always advise doing a little trial and error and figuring out what works best for your personal heath and fitness journey.
My Favorite Fitness Gear for Busy Moms
I have taken a turn with this blog and I want to get back to where I started. I am now going to focus on fitness tips and inspiration for busy moms. I plan to do more posts about food, fitness, and how to fit it all into a crazy schedule! Today I want to talk about my favorite fitness gear for busy moms.
How to afford a vacation
When I returned from our trip to Hawaii, I got a lot of comments. Most of them were positive, but a few were more along the lines of “I can’t believe you got to go to Hawaii” or “I wish I had the money to go on vacation.” I don’t travel as frequently as some (I wish!) but I am still asked how we are able to afford to do the traveling that we do. The answer is surprisingly simple. Priorities.
6 things to buy that save money over time
I know what you’re thinking. How do you save money by buying things? It seems crazy, but there are things to buy that save money in the long run. If you’re already on a tight budget, you might consider adding these items slowly over time instead of trying to buy them all up front.
- Cloth Diapers – I used cloth diapers to some extent with all 3 of my children. I have probably used cloth diapers 75% of the time through my children’s diapering years. I haven’t ever added up exactly how much money I saved, but I’m sure it was a lot! I find that the most cost effective time to cloth diaper is the newborn and earlier months, when you use more diapers than you can count. However, I didn’t start cloth diapering my oldest until he was 2, and I still saved a lot of money because he wasn’t potty trained until he was 3. My favorite cloth diapers are from BumGenius AIO (all in one)and Happy Heiny pocket diapers.
Related Post: Cloth Diapering 101 – Types of Cloth Diapers
Related Post: Related Post: Cloth Diapering 101 – All About Wool
Related Post: Related Post: Cloth Diapering 101 – How to wash cloth diapers
- Diva Cup – I know that this is a taboo subject, but 99% of my readers are adult women so just hear me out! I was one of those people who thought for years that a reusable menstrual cup was disgusting. Then I decided to try it and it’s honestly a life changer. Not only is it much less disgusting than tampons or pads, but it saves a ton of money. If you only try one thing from this list, I strongly suggest trying it! I was very skeptical too. If you’re looking to save a little, I have used this off-brand and I find it very comparable to the actual Diva Cup.
- Reusable K-Cup – I love coffee and I love my Keurig, but K-cups are expensive. I had an a reusable cup with my old Keurig and recently purchased this one for my 2.0. If you are used to purchasing K-cups, this one little purchase will save you quite a bit.
- Reusable Coffee Cup – This seems pretty obvious, but making your own coffee at home will obviously save money. Even if you don’t make it at home, most coffee shops and even gas stations will give you a discount by bringing your own cup. I use a Beuno Cup from Target (clearance!) and a Koffie Straw.
Related Post: Koffie Straw Review
- Cloth Napkins – I can’t tell you how much money I have saved over time by using cloth napkins, “un-paper” towels and cloth wipes. I have never gone so far as to use cloth toilet paper, but some people do! I have some nice un-paper towels with snaps that a friend made, but I mostly use inexpensive rags/hand towels. If you want nicer cloth napkins, I am thinking about buying this 12 pack.
- Epilator – I am not going to lie and say that using a epilator doesn’t hurt – it does! However, if you spend a lot of money on razor blades and are looking for ways to save, it’s a great option. I’d say that it hurts less than waxing, and the results last much longer than shaving. I use a Panasonic brand epilator that also comes with a shaver attachment. It is an expensive purchase, but one that I feel will pay for itself over time.
These are 6 things to buy that save money over time, but it’s certainly not an inclusive list. What products do you use that save you money in the long run? I’d love to hear about them in the comments!
5 best things to do in Branson for families
I used to call Branson home, but it is also a very popular vacation destination. I didn’t realize just how popular Branson is until I lived there. I have had friends from all over the country tell me that they see commercials for Branson all the time. Families travel from all over the country (and sometimes other countries!) to see what this small, Missouri town has to offer.
Branson is a reasonably affordable place to stay, with accommodations ranging from simple hotels to very nice vacation resorts. It’s central location makes it drive-able from many states and easy to access from everywhere else thanks to it’s small airport. Branson has a lot to offer, and it can get overwhelming if you aren’t sure where to start. These are, in my opinion, the 5 best things to do in Branson for families, in no particular order!
Working from home often involves several different income streams. I’ve recently started doing some mystery shopping, and it’s quickly becoming one of my favorite ways to make money from home. Mystery shopping probably won’t make you a millionaire, but it is a legitimate way to make extra money (mostly) from the comfort of your own home. For most mystery shopping trips, you will have to leave your house and computer. For most of us who work from home, that is actually a nice break from the regular routine!
Fun Fact: All six of our kids have birthdays in May-August. This means that “birthday season” is kicking off at our house. We actually aren’t doing big birthday gifts or parties this year, but instead we are taking all the kids on a summer trip and celebrating with activities instead of gifts. Even though that is what we are doing, I wanted to share some birthday ideas for all the birthday parties that you might be attending this summer!
My son is turning 8 on Saturday, and my husbands son will be turning 8 just three weeks after that! Earlier this month I wrote a post about 5 year old birthday gift ideas, so make sure to check that out too! All of the items listed are from Amazon, although you can purchase most of them anywhere. Generally speaking, I have found that Amazon has better prices than Wal-Mart or Target, unless Target is having a good toy sale. If you don’t currently have Amazon Prime, you can try it for free for 30 days. Use this link to get your Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial.
If you’re on the fence about Amazon Prime, make sure to check out my post about how to get the most out of your Amazon Prime subscription and then sign up for the trial. There are so many things included that most people don’t know about!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of HotRef Party Favors. All opinions are 100% mine.
I love the beach. I’ve been talking about Hawaii a lot lately, but I love a good beach anywhere! My husband and I got married on the beach in Galveston, Texas. I spent a lot of time researching beach weddings ideas. If you’re interested in having a Beach Wedding, you’re in luck! I’ve already found some awesome ideas for you. I found tons of beach wedding stuff at HotRef Party Favors, but these were my favorites.
This post has been moved to our new travel blog, check out the updated post over here!
Is it possible to work from home with kids and keep your sanity? I am going to be honest with you, it’s still something that I am working on! As I am writing this blog post, there are five kids aged ten and under in my house. Phrases like “he hurt me!” and “I’m hungry” and “moooooooommmmm!!!” are heard every 12.5 seconds (or less.) I don’t have it all figured out, but I do have some tips to make sure that working from home with kids goes a little bit smoother!
If you’re traveling to Hawaii and wondering where to stay on the Big Island, I have a great recommendation for you! The first time I went to Hawaii, we stayed with family. The second time I stayed at a resort, and this last time we stayed in a vacation rental condo with an extra day at a regular hotel.
Assuming that you don’t have the option to stay with family, which of the 3 options of where to stay on the Big Island is the best? I choose a vacation rental condo, hands down! Keep reading to find out why the vacation rental condo is my first choice of where to stay on the Big Island.
I am on the road today but I wanted to share some of my recent favorite finds. I love reading blog posts where the writers share some of their favorite things, and I wanted to share my 5 favorite things that I have come across recently with you!
My 5 favorite things this week