The most popular posts on amyfillinger.com
Well, I guess I missed my one year “blogiversary.” I started blogging sometime in March 2016. Honestly I’m not sure when it was exactly, but we can celebrate right now! As some of you know, I am a wedding photographer and this time of year gets a little busy. The good thing is now I know to plan my posts ahead of time for my second wave of busy (September-October) so that I can keep regular updates coming your way!
Today I have a special guest post by David from MillenialPersonalFinance.com. Most of you, along with David and myself, are parents of young children. Saving for kids college may not be the most fun subject to talk about, but it’s a very important discussion! Remember that it’s never too early, or too late, to start thinking about saving for kids college. Find out why and how David is saving for his daughters education in this informative post!
How to make extra money this month!
Would you like to make at least $500 extra this month? That’s probably why you’re here! Whether money is tight, or you’re just looking for some extra spending money, there are so many ways to earn extra cash! I have personally tried all of these ideas, and I highly recommend them.
6 things to buy that save money over time
I know what you’re thinking. How do you save money by buying things? It seems crazy, but there are things to buy that save money in the long run. If you’re already on a tight budget, you might consider adding these items slowly over time instead of trying to buy them all up front.
- Cloth Diapers – I used cloth diapers to some extent with all 3 of my children. I have probably used cloth diapers 75% of the time through my children’s diapering years. I haven’t ever added up exactly how much money I saved, but I’m sure it was a lot! I find that the most cost effective time to cloth diaper is the newborn and earlier months, when you use more diapers than you can count. However, I didn’t start cloth diapering my oldest until he was 2, and I still saved a lot of money because he wasn’t potty trained until he was 3. My favorite cloth diapers are from BumGenius AIO (all in one)and Happy Heiny pocket diapers.
Related Post: Cloth Diapering 101 – Types of Cloth Diapers
Related Post: Related Post: Cloth Diapering 101 – All About Wool
Related Post: Related Post: Cloth Diapering 101 – How to wash cloth diapers
- Diva Cup – I know that this is a taboo subject, but 99% of my readers are adult women so just hear me out! I was one of those people who thought for years that a reusable menstrual cup was disgusting. Then I decided to try it and it’s honestly a life changer. Not only is it much less disgusting than tampons or pads, but it saves a ton of money. If you only try one thing from this list, I strongly suggest trying it! I was very skeptical too. If you’re looking to save a little, I have used this off-brand and I find it very comparable to the actual Diva Cup.
- Reusable K-Cup – I love coffee and I love my Keurig, but K-cups are expensive. I had an a reusable cup with my old Keurig and recently purchased this one for my 2.0. If you are used to purchasing K-cups, this one little purchase will save you quite a bit.
- Reusable Coffee Cup – This seems pretty obvious, but making your own coffee at home will obviously save money. Even if you don’t make it at home, most coffee shops and even gas stations will give you a discount by bringing your own cup. I use a Beuno Cup from Target (clearance!) and a Koffie Straw.
Related Post: Koffie Straw Review
- Cloth Napkins – I can’t tell you how much money I have saved over time by using cloth napkins, “un-paper” towels and cloth wipes. I have never gone so far as to use cloth toilet paper, but some people do! I have some nice un-paper towels with snaps that a friend made, but I mostly use inexpensive rags/hand towels. If you want nicer cloth napkins, I am thinking about buying this 12 pack.
- Epilator – I am not going to lie and say that using a epilator doesn’t hurt – it does! However, if you spend a lot of money on razor blades and are looking for ways to save, it’s a great option. I’d say that it hurts less than waxing, and the results last much longer than shaving. I use a Panasonic brand epilator that also comes with a shaver attachment. It is an expensive purchase, but one that I feel will pay for itself over time.
These are 6 things to buy that save money over time, but it’s certainly not an inclusive list. What products do you use that save you money in the long run? I’d love to hear about them in the comments!
This post has been moved to our new travel blog, check out the updated post over here!
If you’re traveling to Hawaii and wondering where to stay on the Big Island, I have a great recommendation for you! The first time I went to Hawaii, we stayed with family. The second time I stayed at a resort, and this last time we stayed in a vacation rental condo with an extra day at a regular hotel.
Assuming that you don’t have the option to stay with family, which of the 3 options of where to stay on the Big Island is the best? I choose a vacation rental condo, hands down! Keep reading to find out why the vacation rental condo is my first choice of where to stay on the Big Island.
I have been using Amazon Prime for several years now. I have found it to be extremely useful and even though I’m sure I could live without it, I don’t want to! The $99 yearly fee has been well worth it, and we save a lot of money every year.
I’ve had several questions about Amazon Prime, how to use Amazon Prime, and how to get the most out of an Amazon Prime membership. I want to share some tricks that I’ve learned while using Amazon over the years. If you don’t already have an Amazon Prime account, you can try Amazon Prime for free for 30 days.
What you probably already know is that Amazon has great prices, and offers 2 day shipping on Prime eligible items. What you may not know is that there is much, much more to Prime! Keep reading to find out how to use Amazon Prime and get the most out of your $99 subscription.
How to use wool diaper covers
Have you ever wondered how to use wool diaper covers with cloth diapers? Have you ever wondered why on earth someone would use a wool cover? If you are new to cloth diapering or if you are considering it, you may be curious about wool. Wool is used as a cover for cloth diapers. Wool covers can be in the form of soakers, shorties, longies, and a few other options. There are many variations of wool covers, but they all do the same thing.
I am moving to a house that’s about 2 miles from and ALDI and I am so excited! Who gets excited about grocery stores? This girl. <- Are you trying to save money on groceries? With the cost of groceries skyrocketing, who isn’t?! If you haven’t tried shopping at ALDI yet, you should! Click here to see if there is an ALDI in your area. I’ve been shopping at Aldi for most of my life, I remember going with my mom when I was little. I love ALDI for many reasons, and I want to share my tips for how to shop at ALDI with you.
How to save on a moving truck
Renting a truck to haul your stuff is one of the biggest expenses that comes along with moving. Fortunately, there are a few tips on how to save on a moving truck that you can use if you’re planning a move.
First of all, I have to say that I have had a bad experience with U-Haul a few years ago. I actually wrote several reviews as well as a blog post. U-Haul not have the truck that I reserved weeks in advance, and they were also horribly rude. The customer service was awful, and I didn’t want to rent a U-Haul truck again. I promise this isn’t a post to complain about that experience, but I do want to warn my readers about it because I don’t want anyone to have to deal with what I dealt with. When you think of moving trucks, you probably think of U-Haul first, so I started looking into other options.
How Does Ebates work?
If you’re wondering how Ebates works, and whether or not it’s legit, you’re in the right place! I have been using Ebates for cash back since 2011 and I absolutely love it! I do love to use Swagbucks, but sometimes the cash back percentage is bigger on Ebates. If you want actual cash, and not gift cards, Ebates is definitely the way to go. The bottom line is, if you’re doing any kind of shopping online and not getting cash back, you’re missing out! I decided to write this guide to show you how to use Ebates, because it’s so simple!
How to get started?
How to Save on Cell Phones
Am I the only one who that think cell phones have become outrageous? When did a new phone start costing upwards of $800, with monthly plans priced at $200 or more?? If you’re wondering how to save on cell phones and cell phone plans, this post is for you!
Balancing a healthy lifestyle and living on a budget can be tough. It’s difficult to justify spending money on healthier choices, but you know that it’s worth it for your family. Well, I found a solution for getting better deals on healthy household items. You may already know that Thrive Market offers wholesale prices on healthy food. Thrive Market also has some incredible deals on healthy and natural household items. I compiled a list of some of the best household items from Thrive Market below. These are my personal favorites, but make sure to dig around the Thrive Market website for even more!
Cloth diapering can get very confusing, especially when you’re just starting out. There are so many different types of cloth diapers, it can be overwhelming. The most important thing to remember is; every parent is different, and every child is different. Something that works great for someone else may not work for you and your baby. Try not to get too overwhelmed by all of the information out there. Just take it one day at a time. For those of you that have heard about different kinds of cloth diapers but aren’t sure what is what, here is a simple breakdown. I am also including a link to each type of cloth diapersfor further reference.
Part 2 is here now! Cloth Diapering 101 | How to wash cloth diapers