This post may contain affiliate links to awesome products that I love. I won't promote items that I don't use or think you'll find useful. The full disclosure policy can be found here.
Gifts that Inspire Your Best Self
In keeping with my Simple Christmas theme, today’s guest post by Julie is all about non-traditional gifts that inspire for best self. From time-savings gifts to gifts that inspire creativity, Julie has some great gift ideas that aren’t just more stuff.
Non-traditional gift ideas that inspire your best self
It’s quite possible that the gift you really want this holiday season is your best self. So why not ask for gifts that support self-improvement? Maybe you just want more time to be mindful or creative, but day-to-day responsibilities get in the way. Maybe you want to lose weight or get stronger. Here are some things you can put on your wishlist that will help you get where you want to be.
Gifts that free up time
The gift of time is inarguably the best, but how do you find it? Do an inventory of things you regret spending time on. For many people, this will include time spent house cleaning or cooking. Here are some gifts you can ask for or buy yourself:
- Delivered meals — Meal delivery services are gaining popularity because they save you the time of planning and shopping for food. Some programs like eMeals will tailor the meals to accommodate health issues like diabetes, salt intolerance, and weight management.
- Prepaid house cleaning services — Many national cleaning services offer gift certificates. Having someone else take care of the heavy lifting that comes with cleaning can be a major timesaver.
- A Roomba –These robotic vacuum cleaners get the floors clean while you work on your salsa moves. You can program them to move about the house, even when you aren’t there, and they dock themselves when they are through.
Related post: The best gifts for Work at Home Moms.
Gifts that inspire creativity
Once you’ve got the time off you’ve been craving, what do you need to flex your creativity? Some experts swear by adult coloring books. This activity is a form of meditation, as coloring can help you decompress and lose your thoughts after a long day.
Other gifts that inspire creativity are:
- Easy musical instruments like ukuleles, kazoos or electric keyboards
- Embroidery kits
- Macrame lessons and materials
Gifts that inspire movement
Many people wish they could get out of the house more, meet new people, get more exercise or lose weight. There’s one easy way to do all those things and still enjoy yourself: Dance lessons!
The type of dance is up to your style, ambition, and budget. Contra dancing is easy to learn and gets you face to face with people in your community. It’s a great option for people who like Americana music and want a great aerobic workout.
Salsa dancing is also a great workout and one you can do with a loved one while listening to Latin music. Most dance studios offer free first-time classes, and sometimes you can score free lessons at a salsa bar.
Remember, it’s okay to ask for non-traditional gifts. Tell friends and loved ones to give the jewelry and smartphones a rest this year. You’d rather have something that inspires the very best you that you can be.
Ms. Morris is a life and career coach who strives to help others live the best lives that they can. She believes she can relate to clients who feel run over by life because of her own experiences. She spent years in an unfulfilling career in finance before deciding to help people in other ways.